Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Joys of being a mad scientist.

Had a great time today. Cleaned out the physics store room. Garvin, my colleague wanted to get the stuff he used for his research out. It included a high power laser, two 50,000 V capacitors used to pulse the laser, power supply for the laser, and a $30,000.00 storage oscilloscope. I asked if I could have them and said yes. Bwa Ha Ha Ha!(mad scientist laugh)
I taught my students about macroscopic cross section and the neutron attenuation formula. It's a simple exponential decay, a formula that seems to be used over and over again. We derived Reactor power given a U235 fuel, reactor volume and neutron flux. I'm going to give them homework on the stuff and start the six factor formula for neutron number for each neutron generation.
In AP Physics we had a lab were they learned to properly use a volt and ammeter. Only had two people blow the meter fuse by hooking it up parallel to the resistor as opposed to be in series with it.
Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment